Re: athome funny business [was Slow Cable Modem Revisited]

    Hello,

This topic is of interest here in Eureka California where PacBell has a
strangle hold on broadish band. Cox cable is just about to start a beta test
in the area post the upgrades they performed last year. I've learned that the
server is of a proprietary class as opposed to the newer systems that are
considered non-proprietary. The reason is that it was thousands of dollars
cheaper then the newer systems. I am uncertain of what type of modem it is,
but think it's based on motorola.

I've wired the engineer in hopes that he'll let me beta test their system
since I've pretty much given up hope for fairness from PacBell.

So the question that comes to me, is what type of protocol is going to be
used, and how hard will it be to tweak my stable box to use it. Should be
interesting.

Now if I could just get a different local telco provider! Monopolies suck.

tatah

--

Jaye Inabnit\ARS ke6sls/TELE: USA-707-442-6579\/A GNU-Debian linux user
Email: ke6sls@arrl.net WEB: http://www.qsl.net/ke6sls ICQ: 12741145