Re: a printer for Linux

Glenn Becker (glenn@icarus.usanetworks.com) wrote:

> As you can tell, I'm utterly clueless - what kind of a printer should I
> get? I'll be printing mainly formatted text documents (whether formatted
> in something like Abiword or something else, I haven't decided).
>
> Will any PC-compatible printer do? What are the considerations, here?

Well there are basically two main types of printers: postscript and
non-postscript. IMO true postscript printers are FAR too expensive and
don't provide much for quality of the output. So that leaves
non-postscript prints, for me at least. I narrowed my choices down to
ink-jet because they provide a good price, performance, qualtiy
combo. Since I was not getting a true postscript printer I needed to
use ghostscript to convert postscript output into something the
printer could understand. So I visited the ghostscript home page and
looked throught the list of supported printers. After comparing each
of these printers I finally decided on an Epson Stylus Color 900. I
used ghostscript 5.10 package plus the gimp-print drivers
(creating a gs-stp package version 5.10-9.1) which works very well.

HTH,
Ron
--
Email: <rbf@farrer.net> or <rbf@debian.org>