a printer for Linux

Hi,

I have lived w/o a printer both at home and at work for some time now. If
I need anything printed I've done so from a Mac or Windows PC. Probably
sheer laziness.

Now, however, I want to do a bit of self-publishing (poetry), and I'm
losing the printer tied to the Mac at home, so I will soon need to explore
printing from my Debian box.

As you can tell, I'm utterly clueless - what kind of a printer should I
get? I'll be printing mainly formatted text documents (whether formatted
in something like Abiword or something else, I haven't decided).

Will any PC-compatible printer do? What are the considerations, here?

Thanks in advance,

Glenn Becker
Online Producer, Community
SCIFI.COM