Re: Installation Problems with USB keyboard

Am Freitag 04 Mai 2001 13:46 schrieb Simon Law:
> On Fri, 4 May 2001, Christoph Pickart wrote:

> > > I'm pretty sure the Asus BIOS has the option of having the BIOS "take
> > > care" of the USB ports. This will allow you to setup the kernel and
> > > install correctly.
> >
> > The only options I found in the BIOS setup were to enable
> > or disable legacy USB support.
>
> 	That's the option that you want.  Legacy USB support allows
> support for OS's that don't have support for USB keyboard and the like.
>
> http://support.intel.com/support/peripherals/usbnotes.htm
>
> 	Of course, once you have 2.2 or 2.4 recomplied with USB support,
> you should be fine.  (You probably want to leave Legacy USB support on,
> I'm not sure if you can use LILO without it.)

It simply doesn't work! I enabled legacy support (it was marked 'AUTO'
before), but the kernel still complains about a non-existing AT-keyboard,
and when the grey screen of the debian installation appears, the keyboard
won't be so kind to do a simple return to continue. I also tried disabling
support, but did no good, as was (too late for me) marked on your link.
Maybe the BIOS is too old, or the keyboard doesn't work (my 2.2.17 under
Mandrake complains about 'too many Nacks -- noisy kbd cable').
I will look for a newer BIOS version or a 'normal keyboard'. It should work
once the system is installed.
Thanks anyway!

Christoph