Re: Getting StarOffice to print

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 11:30:39AM +1000, Mark wrote:
> Nuhn Yobiznez wrote:
>
> > --- Mark <mdevin@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> > > I have gs, lprng, apsfilter etc on my potato system
> > > and it works.  I can
> > > print from Abiword, Netscape and the command line.
> > >
> > > However, nothing happens when I try to print from
> > > StarOffice.  Also, if
> > > I ask StarOffice to print to a file and then view
> > > that with gs with this
> > > command:
> > > gs -sDEVICE=x11 -sPAPERSIZE=a4 testfile.print
> > > then it looks as thought the fonts are really huge.

Hm. Sounds bad.

> > > How do you get StarOffice to print?
>
> > You have tried configuring you postscript printer w/
> >    Sat Office's printer configuration tool? It is a post
> >    scipt printer, right? If not you're out of luck AFAIK.
> >
> What?  Do you mean to say that you can't print from Star Office unless
> you have a postscript printer?  I have a Canon BJC4200, it is not
> postscript but works fine otherwise as stated above.  Just can't print
> from Star Office.

The physical printer does not have to be postscript. E.g. If you use
magicfilter, then that will take care of the PostScript -> Printer conversion
for you. I believe that apsfilter serves the same function - somebody
pls correct me if I'm wrong. Then it can be set up in StarOffice as a
"generic printer".

How is the printer configured in StarOffice? (run spadmin as root)

Do you get anything out on stdout/stderr? (run staroffice from xterm)

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com