Newbie needs help

Hello,

I am new to Unix/Linux. I installed debian linux according to the installation instruction at debian.org. But my ethernet card(SMC EZ Card 10/100 PCI (SMC1211 Series)) was not recognized. Also I dont have a gui installed. I found a driver name at linuxdoc.com for 1211 series but dont know how to download it and install it. Can someone please refer to some document which can help me set up my hardware and gui. I dont know anything about linux/unix.

Any help will be appreciated.

Rahul