Re: Debian Compliant UPS for rack of servers

>     Rory> This is a really newbie UPS question.  We are putting
>     Rory> together a rack with a VA Linux 2130, 2200, two Proliant
>     Rory> 1600s (converted with rackmount kits) and an Apple Cube. I
>     Rory> need to know what sort of rackmount UPS to serve all the
>     Rory> above kit is VA Linux/Debian compliant, so that the VA boxes
>     Rory> will go into orderly shutdown when there is a power failure.

I might be wrong but it seems to me that he was asking mostly about the
specification of the UPS he has to use.
I can not answer this either. sorry.

> Look up any package that provides: ups-monitor. Such as apcupsd,
> genpower, apcd, upsd, bpowerd, powstatd, powstatd-crypt, and nut
>
> (why are there so many different packages for doing the same thing?
> apcupsd, genpower, apcd, and bpowerd do not appear to support network
> operation, while powerstatd-crypt is the only one that supports
> encrypted network communication. That is the only difference I can see
> between all of these)

There are so many because there are much more UPS models. I have not read the
Descriptions of each of these package but as far as I know most of them
support only one UPS brand. Now imagine what that some manufacture release a
new model with some enhancement and you will see why there are so many.
It is not easy to make a general useful scheme so that only minor programming
will be needed to have it working with many models. As far as I know only the
NUT tries to handle this task.
As for network communication, few of these packages deal with this issue, and
as far as I know most of them restrict themselves to one manufacture only.
Once again, the nut is one of the few (the only?) that tries to handle this
issue with a little consideration of the various models involved as possible.
However the nut communicate without encription as far as I know.

> Some of these claim that they will work for almost any device that
> uses RS232.

Once again, even with RS232 there are many kinds of cables. And most models
today use some kind of protocol that is unique to them in order to announce
about the battery charge level, the input voltage level, its frequency, and so
on.

You might want to read the UPS HOWTO. Although it is rather old I find it
explains the basics rather nicely. Another pointer is www.exploits.org/nut