Re: Debian Compliant UPS for rack of servers

    Rory> This is a really newbie UPS question.  We are putting
    Rory> together a rack with a VA Linux 2130, 2200, two Proliant
    Rory> 1600s (converted with rackmount kits) and an Apple Cube. I
    Rory> need to know what sort of rackmount UPS to serve all the
    Rory> above kit is VA Linux/Debian compliant, so that the VA boxes
    Rory> will go into orderly shutdown when there is a power failure.

Look up any package that provides: ups-monitor. Such as apcupsd,
genpower, apcd, upsd, bpowerd, powstatd, powstatd-crypt, and nut

(why are there so many different packages for doing the same thing?
apcupsd, genpower, apcd, and bpowerd do not appear to support network
operation, while powerstatd-crypt is the only one that supports
encrypted network communication. That is the only difference I can see
between all of these)

Some of these claim that they will work for almost any device that
uses RS232.

Sorry, I can't recommend/discourage any specific brands.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>