Re: Debian Compliant UPS for rack of servers

    Rory,

I looked at *all* the ups companies very recently. I wanted plenty of power
and a *smart* function. I was amazed at how these companies have set out to
take advantage of the ISP's & company servers. I decided on Tripplite's
APS2012. This unit provides 2000 watts continuous & 4000 watts surge. It has
no smart capability but if you provide several D16 batteries, it should
provide your racks with several days of backup. If your outage continues,
then fire up a generator since it has an onboard 60Amp charger. The unit with
shipping cost my company $632 here in Sunny California.

IMHO, the technology used on the smart variaty is more a waste of money. I
want my system to stay up and I'm willing to donate the needed battery floor
space. Since my stuff is in my home office, I wired a few outlets for
critical light/media.

If it *has* to be rack mounted, then strip a dead server and set it in there
:) Cabling is an issue, don't skimp. If you need even more power then that,
you can pick up the 4000 watt unit for a few more bux. Back up time depends
completely on amount of batteries you add.

If you need to be informed when an outage occures, just wire up a trip
circuit/relay to an extra com port. #if outage, then email root@so_n_so.#

Good luck and happy shopping.

--

Jaye Inabnit\ARS ke6sls/TELE: USA-707-442-6579\/A GNU-Debian linux user
Email: ke6sls@arrl.net WEB: http://www.qsl.net/ke6sls ICQ: 12741145