Re: Printer Failure

Please wrap your lines at e.g. 72 chars ...

> I've tried lpr foo.text - if it's a large enough file, I can see it
> momentarily in the lpq, but it dissapears very quickly.
>
> I've tried cat foo.txt > /dev/lp0, and I get a small pause as it does
> this, and then nothing.

That's interesting... I don't know the in's and out's of your printer model,
but I would have expected something to come out. Did your file contain a
^L (=form feed) at the end? Might be worth adding.

> tunelp /dev/lp0 -s reports status 216, on-line
>
> tunelp /dev/lp0 -r reports lp0 online, using IRQ -1 (hmmm. . . dmesg tells
> me that parport0 is using IRQ 7, which is what it should be using.)

Very odd. I *think* I had that too, before I added
        options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=3 dma=3
to /etc/modules.conf (/etc/modutils/parport actually followed by
update-modules). You may want to do something similar (but set it to whatever
you BIOS is set to - the above settings are my current ones).

> lpc> enable all shows that qeueing is enabled
>
> I regenerated the magicfilterconfig file - no better (although I would
> think that catting to lp0 should bypass the filter, so this shouldn'
> t have been the problem.)
>
> I can't think of anything else to do - I've even tried rebooting and
> reconfiguring the kernel so that it's all compiled in instead of having all
> the lp and parport functions as modules.  Still nothing.
>
> If anybody can help, I'd really appreciate it.  I can't find any
> documentation about kernel v.2.4.2 - is this a known bug?  I admit I haven't
> looked all that hard, as I'm between ISP's right now and I only have acces
> at work.
>
> Thanks again.
>

> --

Hope this helps