Re: Earthlink DSL and Linux

* Alec Smith (alec@malepages.com) [010429 11:35]:
> I'm looking into getting Earthlink DSL and am curious if anyone else has
> experiences with their service and Linux. Specifically I'd like to use NAT
> to connect serveral PCs to the one DSL line using 2 NICs in the server.
> Are there any known issues with PPPoE or some other compatibility problems
> I should know about?

As far as running NAT, Earthlink/Mindspring will have nothing to do with
it, nor do they do anything that would stop it from working. The only
thing people seem to get hung up on is the PPPoE part. I'd suggest
Roaring Penguin's PPPoE client. I used it in the past and it worked
perfectly. I have a Linksys 4-port router that handles PPPoE plus (2)
other PCs, so it's much easier to use the router.

Earthlink/Mindspring does have a version of NTS' Enternet PPPoE client
for Linux here: http://download.mindspring.com/maxdsl/pppoe_linux.html.
I have not used it myself...

Good luck
Hall