multichannels in debian alsa-source 0.9+0beta3-1

i built the new alsa-source modules for my 2.4.3 kernel and was
pleased to notice that i no longer need to unload the modules when i
suspend, but then i noticed that i'm missing support for playing
multiple channels.  example: playing 2 mp3s to /dev/dsp (not through
esd).  this was a nice little feature of the 0.5.10b drivers.

will the feature be back in the non-beta, or am i merely missing a
configuration somewhere?

i'm using the maestro3 driver on my dell inspiron 3800 laptop.

thanks for any insight.
--
| glynis@hjsoft.com         http://www.hjsoft.com/~glynis/ |