Re: ifhp does not do HP LaserJet II

* Robert Cymbala <cymbaLa@lafn.org>, 2001-04-26 09:57 +0200:

> Hello,
>
> Package ``ifhp'' "is a general purpose filter for HP LaserJet III, IV
> and V series printers."
>
> What to do for an HP II?  Below is original question from a friend...
> I'll be sure to send John links to posted answer(s).   THANK YOU...
>

> "Robert, Do you have a link to a linux driver for an HP LaserJet II
> printer?  I've read HOWTO's until I'm cross-eyed.
>
> "I sent a query to HP.  They responded with 'We write no drivers for
> Linux', followed by a full page of disclaimers on why they are not
> responsible for all this information and why I can't sue them for this
> remarkable revelation.  :)) Tnx.  -John Way"

Is it a LaserJet II or *Series II*? The former should be easy to set up
with magicfilter (laserjet or laserjet-lo), the latter is tricky because
it has virtually no memory:

# /etc/printcap

lp|hpljs2|HP LaserJet Series II:\
        :lp=/dev/parallel:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hpljs2:\
        :sh:pw#80:pl#72:px#1440:mx#0:\
        :if=/etc/magicfilter/laserjet-filter:\
        :af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

lp|hpljs2lo|HP LaserJet Series II:\
        :lp=/dev/parallel:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hpljs2lo:\
        :sh:pw#80:pl#72:px#1440:mx#0:\
        :if=/etc/magicfilter/laserjetlo-filter:\
        :af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

and, in /etc/texmf/dvips/config.ps, set (among others maybe):

m 300000
o |lpr -Phpljs2
D 300
X 300
Y 300
M jetiiisi
O -3.25mm,3.5mm

You can print LaTeX docs at 300dpi, the rest at 150dpi. Also at 300dpi
can be printed with the WordPerfect 8-driver for the Series II. Note I
do not recommend WordPerfect, I just say it's possible.

Andre Berger                                [andre.berger@topmail.de]