Re: mutt and the running emacs

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 08:12:54AM -0700, Jim McCloskey wrote:

> Within mutt, I have the editor set to emacs. But I always have
> emacs running anyway, so there's an annoying duplication when
> mutt starts its own emacs session. Is there any way to cause
> mutt to use an already running emacs as its editor?

Hi,

I don't use Emacs with mutt, but the following may be of some
help.

First the Emacs part: in your .emacs file put the line

	(server-start)

This starts the Emacs server. Now you can use the 'emacsclient'
program to make your principal Emacs visit any file. To test that
it works, you can do

	emacsclient foo.txt

in an Xterm. This should open a buffer containing foo.txt in your
main Emacs. When you've finished editing the buffer, type 'C-x #'
to tell 'emacsclient' that you are through.

Now for the mutt aspect: in your .muttrc put the line

	set editor=emacsclient

Now whenever you want to compose a message, mutt will open a
buffer in your principal Emacs. To finish editing the message,
type 'C-x #' as above.

Note that this will work only if you start your Emacs session
before invoking mutt.

Best,
Raghavendra.

--
N. Raghavendra                    | GnuPG signed/encrypted mail
raghu@mri.ernet.in                | welcome.  Key ID: 03618806.