Re: Can't find modules - but they work

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 10:10:40AM +0100, Glyn Millington wrote:
> On boot up I get messages relating to several modules eg
>
> lp modprobe  can't locate module  lp.....
> ppp modprobe  can't locate module ppp
>
> But something is finding them because I can prnt and send you this post
> without any trouble.  Clearly there is something wrong with my kernel
> compiling technique - though I thought that I had doe it "the Debian
> way".  Can anyone put me right?

When you rebuilt your kernel, you built these things into the kernel
instead of keeping them as external modules, but modules.conf didn't
get told about it, so your system is still trying to load the modules
it no longer needs.  I just ignore it, but you should be able to get
rid of the messages by updating the files in /etc/modutils/ and then
running update-modules.

--
That's not gibberish...  It's Linux. - Byers, The Lone Gunmen
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d? s+: a- C++ UL++$ P++>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+