Re: The Perfect Debian / Personal Computer

If you already have an internal modem you can use it,
but if you were buying one get an external one. This
is not really that big of an issue. I was assuming
that you were building the box from scratch. One
reason to avoid internal modems is because they are a
heat source and they will increase the temperature
inside the computer. Another reason is that if the
modem hangs for some reason you will probably have to
reboot the machine as there is no way to reset an
internal modem. If this occurs with an external modem
you can just turn it off and turn it back on.

This is somewhat dated, but still worth a look:
http://noframes.linuxjournal.com/lj-issues/issue36/2084.html
--- Hall Stevenson <hallstevenson@mindspring.com>