Can't find modules - but they work

My set up is
Debian 2.2r0 with updates  - so pretty much r3 I guess ?
Kernel 2.2.18pre21 (but had the same problem with my customized 2.2.17)

On boot up I get messages relating to several modules eg

lp modprobe  can't locate module  lp.....
ppp modprobe  can't locate module ppp

But something is finding them because I can prnt and send you this post
without any trouble.  Clearly there is something wrong with my kernel
compiling technique - though I thought that I had doe it "the Debian
way".  Can anyone put me right?

TIA

Glyn
--