Re: Upgrading

on Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 04:45:12PM -0400, Eileen Orbell (eileen@orbell.com) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been using Debian 2.2 for about a year now.  Could some kind sole
> tell me what is the best way to upgrade Debian?  I see Debian 2.2r3 was
> released today.
>
> Also should i update my kernel to 2.4?  I think I am running 2.18.  I have
> cable modem so bandwidth etc is no problems.  And I appreciate a point in
> the direction.  Oh I have included my source.list incase it needs a little
> tune up as well.
>
> Kind regards
>
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
> deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
> deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
> deb ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
> deb http://kde.tdyc.com potato main qt1apps optional crypto
> deb http://people.debian.org/~ljlane/downloads/ enlightenment/
> deb ftp://spidermonkey.ximian.com/pub/red-carpet/binary/debian-22-i386/ ./
> deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free

Since you specify "stable" (rather than "potato") in your source lists,
you'll be transparently migrated from Potato to Woody when Woody becomes
stable (it's currently testing).

To run a system upgrade:

    $ apt-get update
    $ apt-get dist-upgrade

Note that these can both take considerable time, particularly over a
slow link -- my 56K modem typically runs 20 minutes to 2 hours for a
system update.  So I schedule the jobs to be run overnight -- but only
to download updated packages:

    /usr/bin/apt-get update
    echo "y" | /usr/bin/apt-get --download-only dist-upgrade
    apt-get autoclean

I commit the installs manually from a root shell.

Debian point releases aren't directly relevant if you're updating via
apt-get over the Net.

Regarding kernels -- keep up to date on the 2.2.x series for the time
being unless you need 2.4 features.  There's no imperetive to change.
In some cases (ReiserFS support), 2.2.x is doing better than 2.4 --
particularly if you're allergic to data corruption.

Cheers.