Re: Upgrading

"Karsten M. Self" wrote:

> on Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 04:45:12PM -0400, Eileen Orbell (eileen@orbell.com) wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been using Debian 2.2 for about a year now.  Could some kind sole
> > tell me what is the best way to upgrade Debian?  I see Debian 2.2r3 was
> > released today.
> >
> > Also should i update my kernel to 2.4?  I think I am running 2.18.  I have
> > cable modem so bandwidth etc is no problems.  And I appreciate a point in
> > the direction.  Oh I have included my source.list incase it needs a little
> > tune up as well.
>
> Regarding kernels -- keep up to date on the 2.2.x series for the time
> being unless you need 2.4 features.  There's no imperetive to change.
> In some cases (ReiserFS support), 2.2.x is doing better than 2.4 --
> particularly if you're allergic to data corruption.

This is pretty difficult for standard users that needs pcmcia-modules. I
upgraded the kernel to 2.2.19 but it didn't come with pcmcia. There
seems to be no matching module available separately either.

# apt-get install pcmcia-modules-2.2.19
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package pcmcia-modules-2.2.19 has no available version, but exists in
the database.
This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents
of sources.list
E: Package pcmcia-modules-2.2.19 has no installation candidate

I tried to compile but it requires kernel-source,.config file etc. which
is a bit much for a newbie.

Eric