Re: Linux Books

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 04:22:15PM -0500, George M. Butler wrote:
| Hi all,
|
| I have been asking questions on this list and received lots of help.  I
| am new to
| Linux but have some
| limited experiece with Unix in the past. I have just
| discovered that my employer will let me have $400 to buy books related
| to my job.

Nice!

| I am a member of a mathematics faculty so naturally Linux is job
| related.  I would
| be interested
| to hear from the contributors of this list what are their favorite
| Linux, Unix,
| Networking,  Programming Language,  or related books.

I really like Python as a programming language.  I find it to be easy,
clean, and powerful and scaleable.  (YMMV of course ;-))

O'Reilly publishes  Learning Python  and   Programming Python.  I am
sure there are other books as well.  (Well, I know that Mark Hammond
has a book specific to win32 Python programming, and there is a
Tkinter specific book).  Personally I just used the tutorial on the
web, and use the library reference when I need it.

I see you have a book on TeX.  Maybe a book on LaTeX would be useful
for you?  I have heard that Leslie Lamport's book is rather
authoritative.

If you are going to do text processing I would recommend  "Mastering
Regular Expressions" by Jeffrey Friedl (O'Reilly).  It is quite good,
and I have found regexes to be very useful to me.

-D