Re: debian 2.2r3 ?

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 04:42:26PM -0700, Eric Richardson wrote:
> > apt-get update
> > apt-get dist-upgrade
> > apt-get install kernel-image-2.2.19
>
> If I do the last step, will my current kernel be left in place and be
> bootable if I have problems with the upgrade?

yes, debian kernel versions are in seperate packages, thats why they
are not upgraded automatically by apt.  when you install
kernel-image-2.2.19 (assuming there is no other 2.2.19 package/kernel
installed) it will not touch any other kernel versions/ packages.

just make sure you configure your bootloader to allow you to boot the
previous kernel, for lilo, quik, and yaboot:

image=/vmlinux
	label=linux
	root=/dev/whatever
	read-only

image=/vmlinux.old
	label=linux.old
	root=/dev/whatever
	read-only

at the {lilo,quik,yaboot} boot: prompt you can enter linux for the
current kernel and linux.old for the previous one.  make sure the
/vmlinux symlinks are correct.

for grub you can boot any kernel you want without a config file so
there isn't much to worry about there.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/