From: Ethan Benson [mailto:erbenson@alaska.net]
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2001 6:51 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: debian 2.2r3 ?

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 04:49:40PM -0700, aphro@portal.aphroland.org wrote:
> thought this was odd..maybe im just being paranoid, i
> ran apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade on 2 machines just
> now(and i had just run it a couple days ago on both)
> and theres 22 updates packages....i don't see any
> annoucements on security.debian.org or on www.debian.org
>
> stuff like libc6 2.1.3-18 from http.us.debian.org
> and ssh 1:1.2.3-9.3 from non-us.debian.org
>
> only thing i can imagine is 2.2r3 is out ? im not used
> to ever seeing stuff comming from any site other then
> security unless a new release is out.
>
> im holding off upgrading any of the other machines
> out of fear :)

yes 2.2r3 is out.  its release has been immenant for a while now, it
was mainly waiting for the updated boot-floppies and kernels to get
built for other archs (powerpc).

the point releases don't tend to get annouced, or at least right away
since they are really quite boring.   the majority of updates are just
merging all the security updates since r2 into the main distribution
and out of security.debian.org, so that r3 CDs won't ship with 30
security holes out of the box.   there are a couple fixes for out of
sync or severely broken packages but most of it is security merges.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/