Re: debian 2.2r3 ?

Lo, on Thursday, April 19, Ethan Benson did write:

> On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 04:42:26PM -0700, Eric Richardson wrote:
> > > apt-get update
> > > apt-get dist-upgrade
> > > apt-get install kernel-image-2.2.19
> >
> > If I do the last step, will my current kernel be left in place and be
> > bootable if I have problems with the upgrade?
>
> yes, debian kernel versions are in seperate packages, thats why they
> are not upgraded automatically by apt.  when you install
> kernel-image-2.2.19 (assuming there is no other 2.2.19 package/kernel
> installed) it will not touch any other kernel versions/ packages.

<snip>

Ok, then how about this:

Some time ago, before the official Debian kernel-image-2.2.19 was
available, I downloaded the 2.2.19 source from kernel.org and built my own
kernel-image package the Debian way.  Everything's been fine.

What will happen if I do an `apt-get install kernel-image-2.2.19'?  Will it
overwrite my current (running!) 2.2.19 kernel install?  Do I need to
uninstall my 2.2.19 custom build and go back to my 2.2.18 custom build
before I upgrade?  Or do I just need to reboot under the old kernel, then
do the upgrade?

Thanks,

Richard