Re: debian 2.2r3 ?

Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 04:42:26PM -0700, Eric Richardson wrote:
> > > apt-get update
> > > apt-get dist-upgrade
> > > apt-get install kernel-image-2.2.19
> >
> > If I do the last step, will my current kernel be left in place and be
> > bootable if I have problems with the upgrade?
>
> yes, debian kernel versions are in seperate packages, thats why they
> are not upgraded automatically by apt.  when you install
> kernel-image-2.2.19 (assuming there is no other 2.2.19 package/kernel
> installed) it will not touch any other kernel versions/ packages.
>
> just make sure you configure your bootloader to allow you to boot the
> previous kernel, for lilo, quik, and yaboot:
>
> image=/vmlinux
>         label=linux
>         root=/dev/whatever
>         read-only
>
> image=/vmlinux.old
>         label=linux.old
>         root=/dev/whatever
>         read-only

Thanks, the install went great and I see that the install made a
symbolic link to linux.old for the previous kernel. The kernel booted
fine but couldn't find
/var/modules/2.2.19/pcmcia
I searched the directories and couldn't find the cardbus modules at all.
What should I do now?

I can still boot the old kernel just fine thanks to your help.

Eric