Re: Harddisk sugguestion?

on Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 04:15:23PM -0400, Daniel Freedman (freedman@ccmr.cornell.edu) wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 15, 2001, Chun Kit Edwin Lau wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > 	I am planning to buy a new harddisk about 10 - 20 GB. Is there any
> > recommandations? I am using P3V4X motherboard from ASUS with VIA chipset (I
> > heard there were some problems with this chipset) Anyway, an ATA66 harddisk
> > is what I want but I guess ATA100 with ide card is welcome too. thanx
> > everyone
> >
> > Edwin Lau (lauedw@waves.utoronto.ca)
>
> Edwin,
>
> Hi.  Based on current bang for the buck, I'd go for a 40 Gb rather
> than 10-20Gb.  It seems to be the sweet spot in pricing right now.
> The 10-20Gb start at 60-70, while the 40Gb start at 90.  It seems
> worthwhile to get 4x the capacity for the extra $20-30.

As an oldtimer, pricing and capacities are stunning.

The other consideration, of course, is IDE vs. SCSI.  For a
general-purpose single-user system, IDE is probably sufficient.
However, if you're looking at a multi-user environment, heavy
data I/O, or lots of multiprocessing (development, data processing,
server), SCSI offers a strong performance advantage, for about twice the
price.

Cheers.