Re: startx not working, but X does

Jens Gecius wrote:

Corey Popelier <pancreas@dingoblue.net.au> writes:

If you just did an upgrade today, then you aren't the only person with the
problem. However, I suspect its' actually a KDE related problem that's
breaking X. I've now reverted to a X/WindowMaker setup until I see some
more KDE updates arrive, and X is running fine.

As for the cause of the problem, well I'm not quite sure.

Seems not to be kde related. I'm running gnome here and removed every
kde package from the system - still not working. X comes up for a
split second and goes away. It stops exactly where Jeff said:

"(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Generic Mouse"

(type: MOUSE)"

Well, similar message for my trackball. The trackman is working as I
can move it for exactly the above mentioned split second. I also
tested if it is something with the nvdriver (nvidia binary), but the
problem still exists after I changed to the opensource nv.

Any more ideas?

This may or may not be related; yesterday I installed a box and had similar moue issues. Turns out that /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 had two mouse sections, one for the configured mouse and one for a generic mouse. Perhaps this is the way it's supposed to be. Nevertheless, I commented out the generic mouse section, and the reference to the generic mouse later near the bottom of the XF86Config-4 file, and that fixed my problem.