setting up VNC server on Linux

Hey,

I need to be able to control my friends computer from mine.  Telnet doesn't work, and ssh is broken, so I thought VNC would be rad.  I am to the point where I can use vncviewer from my Linux to control my windoze box, but that doesn't do much for me.  If I run vncserver on my computer, and then try to connect to myself w/ 'xvncviewer localhost', it tells me "unable to connect to host".  What do I need to do to fix this?

Oh yeah, is ssh going to be fixed anytime soon?

Thanks,
Cameron Matheson