Re: xcdroast and devfs

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 09:26:20PM -0300, Christoph Simon wrote:
> On 12 Apr 2001 10:05:40 +1000
> Brian May <bam@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > xcdroast from unstable might fix this(?), but I can't even get it to
> > run.  (it warns that certain executables aren't setgid, even when run
> > as root, and that cdrecord is either too old or too new).
>
> xcdroast on unstable seems to be severly broken these days. It
> requires setgid bits to be set, but gtk libs seem to refuse working
> for security reasons. Also all external helper programs changed
> version, hindering xcdroast to even start. I fixed it for me using
> the command line tools :)

thats because any X program that requires root privileges is broken by
design.  the GUI part should run unprivileged and use a small non-GUI
backend to perform the privileged stuff.  getting the root password
via a ssh-askpass style system, or in a cdrecording setup just using a
setuid cdrecord or similar.

running GUI code as root is retarded.

--
Ethan Benson