HELP - CS423x sound config and Debian Potato...

HI all,

Have a problem with sound cards containing these chips.

Problem Description
--------------------------------
2.2.18pre15 kernel already had a cs4232.o to load but failed with "device or
resource busy" error.

1. tried "modprobe cs4232 io=0x534 irq=5 dma=1 dma=0"
2. response "Device or resource busy"; "insmod .... failed"

3. tried alsaconf (tried cs4232 and cs423x drivers) with above settings +
MPU-401 irq=5, pnp io=0x120, DMA size (4k and 64k)
4. response "alsa driver was not loaded"

5. tried sndconfig
6. response "cannot detect card, specify manually"

7. specify in sndconfig io=0x534 irq=5 dma=1 dma=0 mpu=0x330 mpu irq=5
8. response "sound related drivers already in /etc/modules.conf"; "delete
appropriate files in /etc/modutils and re-run update modutils"

Here's my PC setup:
--------------------------------
DELL Optiplex GX1
Pentium III-500
192Mb RAM
15GB Hard Disk (Win98, 2 partitions)
4GB Hard Disk (Linux)
Sound Chip (Crystal-423x, as reported by Progeny Install), on motherboard

Here's my LInux setup
-----------------------------------
1. Installed Potato
2. Installed Helix Gnome (now Ximian)
3. Installed Progeny 1.0

Kernel: 2.2.18pre15
Boot: using GRUB

Modules Installed:
----------------------------
AC97 codec
OSS Sound Support
OSS SoundCore
Yamaha (or something) MPU-401 support

Sound-related software installed:
Alsaconf 0.4.x (latest from apt-get)
sndconfig

Sound "card" settings as reported by Win 98 (Device Manager)
Cyrstal Codec:
I/O       0x534 - 0x537
IRQ       5
DMA       1
DMA       0
I/O       0x388 - 0x38B

Crystal System Control registers:
I/O       0xF00 - 0xF07

MPU-401:
I/O       0x330 - 0x331

Any help here to get it started (either ALSA or sndconfig or modprobe.... I'm
not fussy :-) would be greatly appreciated.

I tried google and read many suggestions (all of them reflected by my attempts
above), but to no avail.

Could some kind soul please help me? I have looked through debian-user's
archives till Aug. 2000 but nothing on this was ever mentioned.

I really would like to get sound up and running. I appear to have exhausted most
of the web on this topic. Please, please, please, someone help.

I think Debian's great for all other software installations, but sound support
on debian is not as automated as I would have liked it to be.

Thanks for your attention and time.

Best regards
Carl Tan.