Re: Debian on a RAID How do I?

hi daniel

if the boot disks recognizes your controller...
consider yourself very lucky...
	- you can make your root raid5 system if you like...
	( good and bad )...

	- tricky business to get root raid5 working properly...

if you only have 3 disks....1/3 of your disk space is NOT used
	- just as good as using raid1 ( mirror )

try using 5 or 6 drives...1/5 in overhead for raid5

-- i like only data to be on raid5 partitions...
	-- the system is already on cdrom and backedup..

-- and backup your raid5 (data)partiton to another system if you want to
   protect your data....
	data == /home and/or /var/log and/or /var/spool/mail...etc

-- to test that the system is doing it magic properly...
	-
	- disconnect power to one of the disks...( while system power is off )
	- and see if everything still works upon reboot...

have fun
alvin
http://www.linux-consulting.com/Raid
http://www.linux-1U.net .. 1U Raid5 ..