Re: Need help setting up SB PCI 128 sound card on potato system

* Nate Amsden <aphro@portal.aphroland.org> [040401 08:58]:
> Joe Nahmias wrote:

> >         So far, I have downloaded the latest 2.2 kernel (2.2.19) and
> > compiled in support for the card (CONFIG_SOUND_ES1371=y), with no success.
> > After booting the newly compiled kernel, the soundcard is recognized (see
> > dmesg output fragment below), but it is unusable, ie. 'cat /dev/sndstat'
> > returns: No such device.
>
> did you  expect something from /dev/sndstat ? i've never used that ..
> i also have a ES1371(or is it a 1370 ..) it is a SB PCI 128..using
> kernel 2.2.18(self compiled and it works great. infact its by far
> my favorite soundcard to use in linux..i wouldnt use anything else.

FWIW:

"cat /dev/sndstat" used to produce a listing of information about the installed
sound device.  I see that it no longer does...it did, however, function that
way in 2.2.17 (at least with regards to my Soundblaster AWE64).  The command
is referenced in the Soundblaster AWE64 HOWTO (and probably in the Sound HOWTO
as well...)