Re: Need help setting up SB PCI 128 sound card on potato system

Joe Nahmias wrote:

> Hello All!
>
>         I have a newly installed Debian 2.2r0 (yes, I know I should upgrade,
> but that's what was on the cd...) system that I'm trying to get my sound
> card (SoundBlaster PCI 128) working on.
>
>         So far, I have downloaded the latest 2.2 kernel (2.2.19) and
> compiled in support for the card (CONFIG_SOUND_ES1371=y), with no success.
> After booting the newly compiled kernel, the soundcard is recognized (see
> dmesg output fragment below), but it is unusable, ie. 'cat /dev/sndstat'
> returns: No such device.

did you  expect something from /dev/sndstat ? i've never used that ..
i also have a ES1371(or is it a 1370 ..) it is a SB PCI 128..using
kernel 2.2.18(self compiled and it works great. infact its by far
my favorite soundcard to use in linux..i wouldnt use anything else.

try something that actually plays a sound(xmms, mpg123, mpegtv, realplayer
etc)

it should work ..of course if your not in the right group and your
running as non root that won't work so be sure your in the right
group(audio i believe)

nate

--
:::