Re: /etc/network/interfaces

"Stephen E. Hargrove" wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Mircea Luca wrote:
>
> > I would agree that everything looks right.What happens if you type
> >  ifup eth0
> > or in the worst case try and bring it up manually ?
> >  ifconfig eth0 192.168.2.6 up
> > You should get a more specific error message.
> > The thing is you either have rolled over a weird bug ,there is another
> > piece of hardware that is being brought-up on the same IRQ,or something
> > kills the PCMICA controller at a later stage in the boot process.
> >

> I'm configuring it manually right now, and its working fine.  No error
> messages at all, just a perfect execution.
>
> I wonder if it's possible that /etc/init.d/networking is executing before
> /etc/rc3.d/S20pcmcia?  How would I tell?
> --
> steve

amm....it is.IF you browse /etc/rcS.d you'll see S40networking .So if
you start pcmcia at 39(with S39 a symlink to /etc/init.d/pcmcia or
wahtever the script name is) in rcS.d you'll be just fine.I don't have
my laptop at home so can't tell
exactly but that's the idea.
rcS.d is executed first,then rc(0-6).d .Actually rc.boot is really the
first one but that is deprecated and it shouldn't be used.
man init
will tell you more about the boot process.