Re: SMTP transaction error

Am Wed, 04 April 2001 schrieb davidj@web.de:

> My problem is that fetchmail won't deliver.
[...]
> I'm sure I've got some simple thing - as likely as not in another
> program such as exim - badly configured, and I'm sure someone
> out there can guess what it might be.
>
> Perhaps the following extract from fetchmail's output is more
> indicative of the problem - this time it didn't segfault but went
> on to query other servers on the .fetchmailrc list:
>
> 4 messages for davidj at pop3.web.de (9315 octets).
> fetchmail: POP3> RETR 1
> fetchmail: POP3< +OK Nachricht folgt/message follows
> reading message 1 of 4 (2238 octets)
> fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed: Connection refused

I guess either exim isn't started, or your firewall (if you are running one) is blocking the smtp port (25). The latter is A Good Thing, but you need to configure your firewall to allow these connections from localhost.

try

$ telnet localhost 25

when you know your firewall is _not_ up (did you configure it to begin at boot time or only when you go online?). If you don't get a connection then the first option may well be the cause. If you can
connect, then repeat the procedure when you are online and see what result you get.

> fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
> fetchmail: POP3< Sebastiaan wrote:
> fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from pop3.web.de

I think this is just fetchmail telling you that it couldn't deliver the mail (because it couldn't hand it off to exim).

Of course, any of this could be wrong, I'm by no means an expert. And
don't bother asking me for exim help because that damn exim.conf is
a mysterious thing which I never want to touch again!

Get your own FREE E-mail address at http://www.linuxfreemail.com
Linux FREE Mail is 100% FREE, 100% Linux, and 100% yours!