Re: dist-upgrade to woody

> Well...woody and potato handle X and its configuration very differently.
> Woody uses X 4.02 (I think) while potato uses 3.3.6.  There are a number of
> differences, not the least of which is that your X configuration is no longer
> stored in /etc/X11/XF86Config but is now stored in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

Okay! Okay! Okay!  :)  I goofed.  Woody can ALSO run 3.3.6!

I guess I'm going from memory and from the numerous postings here on Debian
User that when upgrading to Woody it is not uncommon to experience problems
with the X configuration and a lot of it has to do with XF 4.0X either
attempting to install itself or otherwise confusing the issue with regards to
how X operates.

IIRC, when many users upgrade to Woody, their X configuration is jacked up and
they have to take matters into their own hands to straighten it back out.

robert a. jacobs