Re: dist-upgrade to woody

Patrick  Mauro <pmauro@engr.uvic.ca> writes:

> Help. <pop>.  I wasn't sure which list to send this to, since this
> is a user question, but from what I understand, woody is a
> debian-devel issue.  Hopefully no one kills me for posting to both
>
> I have potato installed on my machine.  When I upgraded to woody I
> got gross problems.  First, as I understand it, I did the correct
> upgrade steps.
> - modified sources.list to reflect that I want woody stuff now.
> - apt-get update
> - apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> The big problem is that my X won't work!  Whenever I try to run it,
> I now get an error saying something like unable to stat file
> /etc/X11/X.

Did something similar over the weekend (reinstall potato base,
dist-upgrade to testing and then install task-x-window-system).
The thing is that xserver-xfree86 does *neither* create a config
file *nor* create a symlink to the server.

I fixed this by running dexconf to create /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
based upon my choices during configuration upon installation and
created a symlink to /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86.  This fixed it.

--
Olaf Meeuwissen       Epson Kowa Corporation, Research and Development