dist-upgrade to woody

Help. <pop>.  I wasn't sure which list to send this to, since this is a user
question, but from what I understand, woody is a debian-devel issue.  Hopefully
no one kills me for posting to both :)

I have potato installed on my machine.  When I upgraded to woody I got gross
problems.  First, as I understand it, I did the correct upgrade steps.
- modified sources.list to reflect that I want woody stuff now.
- apt-get update
- apt-get dist-upgrade

I get errors concerning talkd and libpaperg (I'm pretty sure that's what the
second one was called, it deals with paper sizes as I understand it)

That was no problem, I don't use talk anyways, so I removed it.

The big problem is that my X won't work!  Whenever I try to run it, I now get an
error saying something like unable to stat file /etc/X11/X.

I poked around google and so far from what I've seen, /etc/X11/X should be a
symlink to /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA.  Also the file /etc/X11/Xserver should
contain the lines
/usr/bin/X11/XF86_SVGA and console.

What's everyone's thought on this.  Also, why didn't the upgrade set this up
automatically?  I would think when it replaced the old version of X it would
have done it.

One last question, why did they take XF86Setup away.  I always had problems with
XF86Config, but not with XF86Setup.  If worse comes to worse I guess I'll have
to learn the art of XF86Config files (it never works after running the Config
program).

Thanks a lot.

--
Patrick Mauro