fetchmail segfaults

I recently re-installed a slink system from scratch on my
home computer (I'm no expert) after a failed attempt to install
potato, but can no longer get incoming mail.

Fetchmail dies with something like the following:

	fetchmail: POP3< 9 562
	fetchmail: POP3< .
	9 messages for davidj at pop3.web.de (8864 octets).
	fetchmail: POP3> RETR 1
	fetchmail: POP3< +OK Nachricht folgt/message follows
	reading message 1 of 9 (2297 octets)
	fetchmail: realloc failed

followed by 'Segmentation fault'.  It leaves a file named
'.fetchmail.pid', 'a lockfile to prevent concurrent runs' as
I'm told by the manpage.

Exim (/var/log/exim/mainlog) doesn't report anything happening.

Exim was configured using eximconfig, option 1, with the manual
addition of

	local_domains = tapie:localhost

tapie being the name I gave to the computer.  The only thing I
entered during eximconfig was a user name for the postmaster
(dave).

I was a bit suspicious of the following entries in /etc/aliases:

	postmaster: root
	root: dave
	root: root

but changing them to

	postmaster: dave

or

	postmaster: dave
	root: root

didn't help.

Fetchmail is set up to get mail from several servers, but it
segfaults at the first one that actually has mail.  When I run
fetchmail for the first time after a re-installation - I've
done a few in the last day or so - I think it reports an SMTP
error and continues.  (Unfortunately I always forget to put a
2>errfile in the command, so I only see the lines flying by.)

Incidentally, exim works perfectly for outgoing mail, rewrites
'n'all.  And the whole thing worked before I re-installed -
from the same CDs.

I'd be most grateful if someone could point me in the direction
of a solution - which I'll have to pick up on the dark side of
my box :{

David