Re: [MAPS #33478] Re: Whats goin on?

Hi,

Ok, let's that get everything clear.

DDT provides DNS services. Not mail services. However, there's a relation
between mail and DNS as far as mail routing go (read about MX records for
more). We do not provide any kind of SMTP services for DDT users whatsoever.

Now, why would someone want to use DDT, or DHIS, or any other such service?
To have a name/fqdn/addy that resolves to their IP (and not the other way
around, we have no control over IPs, your ISP do). The use of having such
a name pointing to your IP is so it is easier to reference your box that
gets a often-complicated-and-long name pointing to the IP. Indeed, it is
more friendly to type 'vivaldi.ddts.net' than '263-MADR-XL1.libre.retevision.es'!

The FQDN is useful for people who want to run a server on a box. The most
common types of services are SMTP (the mail), HTTP and SSH. If you have a
FQDN that always points to your box, whatever the IP it gets is, you can
then run those services and have people reach them using the name
'vivaldi.ddts.net'. That way, people can watch your webpage at
http://vivaldi.ddts.net/ or send you mail at you@vivaldi.ddts.net. That is
very useful and works very well with DDT or any DDT-like service (DHIS is one
of them).

The problem you are having, Roberto, as nothing to do with DDT but with
you being on a dynamic connection. The truth is a static connection is
much better suited for servers, but it is possible to run a server on a
dynamic connection (much more affordable). One downside is some people
will reject your mail (which as nothing to do with DDT).

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 06:55:24PM +0200, Roberto Diaz wrote:
> > If you absolutely want to run a real server, geez, get a real connection.
>
> I was using ddt for mail.. and for nothing else.. if you dont want me to
> use it.. OK but dont lie.. in your site you had specific instructions
> about how to run a mail server using ddt.

We give instruction because it is common for people to run a mail server.
You are free to run whatever you like on your box (with the exception of
offensive material). Don't whine at DDT if you can't send out email though,
because it's got nothing to do with us.

However, everybody is welcome to use the ddt-user list to ask questions
about configuration or even the DUL, we will be glad to help you. Just
don't come whining like Roberto did, cross-posting the MAPS guy, debian-user
and even RMS (who has absolutely nothing to do with the situation at all).

Attacking DDT on the debian-user mailing list is not going to help anything
much either. Please get a clue and keep your head cold.

ciao

--
Remi