Re: few questions about .deb

M G Berberich <berberic@forwiss.uni-passau.de> wrote:
>- Is there an easy way (not ar+tar) to see what files a package will
>  install bevor it is installed? (after install 'dpkg -L' will do it)

Yes, 'dpkg -c foo.deb' (--contents). 'dpkg -I foo.deb' (--info) shows
you some other information about the package.

>- If I build a debian-package for a program that needs p.e.
>  /var/log/ppplog. Should '/var/log/ppplog' be included in
>  'data.tar.gz' or should I create it in 'postinst' (I need 'postinst'
>  in any case to set the rights on '/var/log/ppplog', right?).

A directory, I take it? You can just create it in debian/rules and put
it in the package. With dpkg-dev >= 1.7.0 you can put setuid/setgid
permissions on things in packages, too (previously suidmanager was
used).