Why does gnome pager no longer iconize open apps on the panel bar

I am running a pretty much unstable/testing system. I have noticed that the

gnome pager no longer iconizes open application on the panel bar. I may need to

set something differently but I am not sure. Has anyone else noticed this? I do

 NOT like it. There is a pop up woidow on the virtual desktop/pager that seems

 to replace it,but it requires opening, then selecting the app to restore. That's

a lot of trouble to do waht was a one click operation before. Any way to get it

back??

--
We specialize in multi-processor computing systems!
John Foster