RE: ati rage 128

> Hi,
> I'm using an ati rage 128 video card with a 2.4.2 kernel and xfree 4.02
> I'd like to know whch packages or drivers I got to install in order to take
> the best of my card, mainly openGL drivers
> thanks in advance
> fred

Hi fred,

Here's the steps that I struggled through to get my rage 128 set up in such
a way as to take full advantage of tuxracer. :-)

1. Install xfree 4.02. You've already done this.
2. Add the lines
	deb http://people.debian.org/~warp/dri/ ./
	deb-src http://people.debian.org/~warp/dri/ ./
to your /etc/apt/sources.list file.
3. apt-get install xlibmesa3-dri xlibmesa-dev-dri xserver-xfree86-dri
4. Edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.
	a) Add the following two lines to the end of the "Files" section:
        ModulePath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules-dri"
        ModulePath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"

	b) Make sure the following are all included in the "Module" section:
	Load    "dri"
        Load    "glx"

	c) Make a section for your video card:
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Rage 128"
        Driver          "r128"
        VideoRam        32768
EndSection

	d) Make your screen section point to the Rage 128 device:
Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "Rage 128"

	e) Add a section (if you want) so normal users can use DRI:
	Section "DRI"
       		Mode    0666
	EndSection

5. Recompile your kernel. You need the following options:
	# Build AGP Support as a module
	CONFIG_AGP=m
	# Find the appropriate section for your motherboard. Mine is the
	# first one, yours may differ. Use the online help to find out.
	CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y
	# CONFIG_AGP_I810 is not set
	# CONFIG_AGP_VIA is not set
	# CONFIG_AGP_AMD is not set
	# CONFIG_AGP_SIS is not set
	# CONFIG_AGP_ALI is not set

	# We need DRM support, and DRM support for Rage 128:
	CONFIG_DRM=y
	CONFIG_DRM_R128=m

	# Don't use FrameBuffer support. Not sure, but I've heard it
	# screws things up.
	# CONFIG_FB is not set

	A couple of words about the chipset: I have an ASUS CUSL-2 motherboard,
	which has onboard I810 video. I also have the Rage 128 in an AGP slot.
	DO NOT select the CONFIG_AGP_I810, as that will enable the onboard
	video, not the AGP slot video card.

6. Reboot with the new kernel. You should now successfully be able
	to do the following as root:

	# modprobe agpgart
	Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
	agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 203M
	agpgart: Detected Intel i815 chipset
	agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xf8000000

	If you can't do this, you chose the wrong chipset for your motherboard.
	Re-do step 5.

7. VERY IMPORTANT: I believe that the version of the Rage 128 kernel
	drm module in the latest 2.4.x kernels is NOT the newest one
	and has problems. At least, I had problems until I got a newer
	one. (If this is incorrect, someone please tell me). To do this, go to
	ftp://dri.sourceforge.net/pub/dri
	and get the latest r128 drivers, for example, the file
	ftp://dri.sourceforge.net/pub/dri/rage128-20010331-i386-Linux.tar.gz

	Unpack it
	# tar zxvf rage128-20010331-i386-Linux.tar.gz
	Build it
	# cd dripkg/drm
	# make -f Makefile.linux
	This should complete without error. Copy the resulting r128.o module
	into your kernel module directory. For example,
	# cp r128.o /lib/modules/2.4.2/kernel/drivers/char/drm/r128.o
	This will overwrite the one provided by the kernel with the new
	one. Now you should be able to load it:

	# modprobe r128
	[drm] AGP 0.99 on Unknown @ 0xf8000000 64MB
	[drm] Initialized r128 2.1.5 20010308 on minor 0

8. Start X again. Important: If something didn't work, X will probably still
	start, so you need to see if it worked.
	a) Check /var/log/XFree86.0.log to see if there are any errors.
	b) Run the command glxinfo. You should see some lines similar to
	the following, plus some more:

	OpenGL vendor string: VA Linux Systems, Inc.
	OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Rage128 20010321 AGP 1x x86/MMX
	OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 3.4.1

9. Install the program of your choice and run it!
	# apt-get install tuxracer
	# tuxracer

Enjoy. Hope this helps.

More resources available at dri.sourceforge.net.