Re: Cable for home network?

Abner Gershon wrote:

> I am planning a home ethernet with one Windows and one
> Linux Potatoe computer with a hub. My installed
> ethernet cards are 10/100 and I would like to use the
> higher 100 speed system. My cable options are 100 kHz
> or Cat 5e in either: "PVC solid cable" or "Plenum
> solid cable" or "Stranded cable" or Cat 6e in PVC
> solid cable. The maximal cable distance would be 100
> feet. Any recommedations? Thanks.

I've been told that you shouldn't use stranded cable
if your going longer then 20 feet, it starts to lose
signal. so if your going 100 feet or even 50 i would
for sure use solid core. pvc should be fine for your
needs if its only 1 or 2 cables. if its a lot of cables
and you want to adhere to fire code you may need plenum.
don't need cat6 its way overkill for 100baseT. and
i would drop the hub and go with either a crossover
cable as one other person suggested or even better
a switch. you can get a great 5port netgear FS105
for $55 bux from buy.com. i highly reccomend those
switches. my home network consists of 4 servers,
1 desktop, and 1 laptop, all using 100baseT hooked to
my massive 48port switch. and either buy premade
cables or if you make your own be sure to crimp em
right, a couple of my friends learned the wrong way
and they made me a few cables but they didn't work
worth shit if the length was more then 15feet. for me
i always buy premade cables as i can't crimp worth shit
either.

nate

--
:::