Re: pyton & perl

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 06:32:29PM +0200, Alexis Roda wrote:

> > Python is very OO while perl follows the more procedural traditions of
> > it's ancestors , sed awk sh and C.
>
> Perl allows one to write both procedural and OO programs. Perl OO model
> is very simple, flexible and powerful.

    It amazes me how people keep pitting languages against each other like
some kind of religious war. Use the right tool to accomplish your task people.
The rest is irrelevant.

    OO Perl is very possible and very powerful. It's also a retroactive hack,
and so it's a little ugly, but then so is the entire language. It's part of
Perl's charm. Perl is quite capable of doing damned near anything you need it
to do.
    That said, for large OO projects I'd rather use Python. It's cleaner, the
OO is integrated instead of retroactive, and it's especially good if I don't
trust the other coders working with me to use common sense because it won't
give them a choice. At work, I find many people working with me can't follow
even the most basic of rules, like indentation and local variables.

    In the long run, if you have a good group of coders, then languages that
assume the coder is a moron (Python, Java, Eiffel...) do nothing but tie one's
hands, IMHO. Hence the attraction of C, Perl, that let you do anything.

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier, TD12, SKY  Tel: 613-765-4699 (ESN: 39-54699)
Optical Networks, Nortel Networks, SDE Pegasus