Re: pyton & perl

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 10:16:36AM -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
| Hi,
| I know this is a stupid question, but I am very new to Linux and I know
| nothing about script programming. What is the difference between perl and
| pyton? Why the nedd to create these two diferent programming languages?

Python is better <grin>.  Go to www.python.org and www.perl.org (or
.com?) and read a few samples of code.  You'll see right away (even if
you don't understand the code) that there is a big difference between
the languages.  The main thing they have in common is their origin
with unix and the massive flamewar such a question may start.

Perl uses lots of operators and allows one to write code that is
_very_ compact, to the point of unreadability and unmaintainability
(IMO).  For example, look at some of the sigs on this list -- the ones
that say "CueCat decoder by Larry Wall".  Do you have any clue what it
does or how it works?  But it is short!

I like python with it's clean and consistent (simple!) syntax combined
with a lot of power, flexibility and expressiveness.  It also scales
quite well to large projects.  (Better IMO than C, C++ or even Java)

Python is very OO while perl follows the more procedural traditions of
it's ancestors , sed awk sh and C.  I think that python is much easier
to learn.  If you are interested, there is a tutor list,
tutor@python.org, that is very helpful.

Hope this gives you some of the information you were looking for ;-),
-D