Re: newbie-esque: how to cut & paste?

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 09:02:17PM +0200, Matthias Wieser wrote:
> will trillich wrote:
> >
> > let's say you have debian potato running and all is right with
> > the world.
> >
> > X (startx or via kdm) is lovely, and console/virtual terminals
> > run flawlessly with gpm as well.

> One answer, if you have not a mac mouse but a three button mouse or an
> emulated three button mouse (2button, if you press both, it is like
> pressing the midle button)
> Just mark some text in a window.
>
> Hop to the place where you need to paste and do the middle click - it
> is that simple :)

okay, i'm at the console, in INSERT mode in vi, editing this
message. i select (via gpm i imagine) with left button and then
click both buttons (to emulate 3-button mouse):

nothing. nada. goose egg. zilch.

i can double-left-click to select a word, and triple-left-click
to select a whole console line, but left/right-simulclick does
nothing (even the selection remains 'active' in reverse-video on
screen). and right-click extends the selection from wherever i
left-clicked initially.

in X i can left-select and then simulclick to paste something.
so apparently there's only one selection allowed, lest we all
become confused as to where the paste is coming from.

so how do you cut and paste in console? (and there's no way to
transfer info from X to console, or console to X?)

--
does a brain cell think?

will@serensoft.com