Re: apt-get update

Carel Fellinger wrote:

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 05:06:05AM -0700, eric wrote:

I use both dselect/apt 's update chooing unstable main and apt-get update , get the same result
dpkg      there are too many error

then I reboot , grub still show only 2.2.18 kernal, I also almost not see any difference from the env before update

This seems a totally different problem, please give much, much more info,
like the error message, and better start a new thread on it.

how could I update / or upgrade to sid 2.4  kernal ?

highly appreciate your tech help for newcomer

If you're a newcommer to linux/unix in general I urge you to stay away
from sid.  Stick to potato and use the address posted recently to add
potato specific packages to support kernels from the 2.4-series.

thanks your hint, from some of mailing list stated, upgrade kernel seem more complex process in debian than in rpm distributions. In that mail:

Got my old config file from /boot
and put it in the source and did a make oldconfig. I then did a
make xconfig and made sure that I had ext2 support and elf and
a.out all compiled in
 may I ask you what is source?

sincere
eric