apt-get update

Hi guys,

Running apt out of dselect by default. Recently my machines one after the
other seem to refuse to really update the apt cache; they contact the
server, get all the HITs, but no more GETs for the package files.
Consequently there never is anything to update these days. Is that right?
Looks like security alerts and their fixes are not readily propagated to
the stable distribution but parked in http://security.debian.org (Why?),
so maybe there really was not much to update in the last two(?) month.
But how can I be sure (short of checking 4468 packages by hand)?

Has something changed or gone wrong at my end? Also: Where would I find
the relevant documentation for this case? It does not seem to be mentioned
in /usr/doc/apt/guide.text.gz or 'man apt-get'.

Please note that I am no longer on the debian-user list; please cc your
reply to me directly at kai@physics.utah.edu

Thanks, Kai

P.S. See below for a typical screendump. All "Hit" lines are there,
     no "Get" lines ?!?

hrvm13:~# dselect
Hit http://http.us.debian.org stable/main Packages
Hit http://http.us.debian.org stable/main Release
Hit http://http.us.debian.org stable/contrib Packages
Hit http://http.us.debian.org stable/contrib Release
Hit http://http.us.debian.org stable/non-free Packages
Hit http://http.us.debian.org stable/non-free Release
Hit http://non-us.debian.org potato/non-US/main Packages
Hit http://non-us.debian.org potato/non-US/main Release
Hit http://non-us.debian.org potato/non-US/contrib Packages
Hit http://non-us.debian.org potato/non-US/contrib Release
Hit http://non-us.debian.org potato/non-US/non-free Packages
Hit http://non-us.debian.org potato/non-US/non-free Release
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Merging Available information
Replacing available packages info, using /var/cache/apt/available.
Information about 4468 package(s) was updated.
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

   Kai Martens				University of Utah
					Department of Physics

   Tel:    (801) 585-5503		115 South 1400 East
   Fax:    (801) 581-6256		James Fletcher Bldg. Room 201
   E-mail: kai@physics.utah.edu		Salt Lake City
   Office: INSCC 216			Utah 84112-0830, USA