Re: apt-get update

Carel Fellinger wrote:

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 02:22:15PM -0500, Bill White wrote:

Now, when I update, I frequently can't see packages with "dpkg -l",
but I can install them. That is to say, if the package libmumble exists but is not installed, and I run "dpkg -l '*mumble*'" I used to
get a line starting with "un".  Now, dpkg tells me that nothing
matches '*mumble*'.  If, now, I run "apt-get install libmumble", the
installation proceeds without any apparent problems.  This doesn't

Ha, bitten by this dselect/apt peculiarity too:) I find this confusing
too, dselect uses apt, you've done a "apt-get update" yet dselect
knows next to nothing.  To make dselect aware of changes in the
packet files you'll need to use dselect's Update menu.

I use both dselect/apt 's update chooing unstable main and apt-get update , get the same result
dpkg      there are too many error

then I reboot , grub still show only 2.2.18 kernal, I also almost not see any difference from the env before update

how could I update / or upgrade to sid 2.4  kernal ?

highly appreciate your tech help for newcomer
sincere
eric