Re: Upgrade advantage in Debian vrs. RedHat

cjw44@flatline.org.uk (Colin Watson) writes:

> Really? I upgraded RH 5.2 to 6.0 and didn't reboot for a month or two
> afterwards. That said, I did this by manually running rpm -Uvh on
> everything, which took me all night and was a pretty hideous job.

Right.  You didn't do the upgrade the right way... you did it a way
which may or may not work, depending on the system.  The
installer/upgrader knows a bunch about various changes which aren't
encapsulated in the packages, or are in the packages but the user has
no easy way to use.  (For example, when package A replaces package B,
it's in the RPM and the installer can use the info, but there's no
user-level tool which has the info.  Not until up2date, at least.)

> That's true up to a point. When I last used Red Hat, there were simply
> no tools that allowed me to (a) upgrade my whole system in one go and
> (b) have some fine-grained control over what's happening in the process,
> in case there are some things over which I want to take more care.

Well, you can do that with the RH installer for the version you're
moving to.  You can specify which packages the installer touches and
which it doesn't, and then fill in the remaining ones later.  But
that's about it.  That's been the case since I started using it in
3.0.3.

(Well, that's _mostly_ the case.  Some versions had bugs, like the one
which would install KDE even if you'd toggled them off.)

(Disclaimer: I was a RHL user from 3.0.3.  I still have RHL 6.2
running on one box, but have just cut over to debian/unstable on my
laptop.)

Short people get rained on last.